How to Use a Manual Drain Auger for Serious Clog Relief
Getting a clog in a drain, while it isn’t good for the plumbing, is pretty common. And it’s almost always cheaper and more efficient to take care of it yourself as long as you know how to use a manual drain auger. If you don’t know, then you’ve come to the right place. From a step by step how to product suggestions if you don’t have one. We got you covered.
You might know them by the name of the plumber’s snake since you move them almost like a snake through your drainage system, and because of how they are coiled and spiraled. They are good to keep on hand because getting a clog within a drain that won’t come out with a plunger is always a possibility.
The difference between a manual and an electric drain auger
Within the names of each tool, you maybe already able to tell the difference. But a manual auger is one that you crank by hand through the clog and pull it back out. With an electric drain auger, you’re able to use machine power to push it through a clog and pull it out.
Because the way you operate each tool is different, there are some slight differences between the ways you go through the steps of unclogging a drain with each. That’s what the main section of this article will be about, but first, you’ll need to gather a few things.
Where to get an auger
There are specific types of drain augers that work best with different drains, like how kitchen sinks have a specifically designed snake just for them. Before getting started, make sure you have the right one for the job.
Sometimes small plastic drain snakes are sufficient to unclog bathroom sinks of hair and debris that are near the surface, while larger drain augers are needed for more serious clogs further down the plumbing system.
You can buy an auger online or from your local hardware store so you’ll always have one on hand. If you don’t want to buy one to keep in case of the occasional clog, you might be able to rent one from a tool rental shop or your local hardware store. If you want to, check in with your neighbors or friends who live nearby and ask if they have one you can borrow. Just make sure to return it if you rent or borrow one.
Popular Drain Augers
How to Snake a Drain
Steps to Clear a Drain with an Auger
Taking care of your drains
The best way to make sure you don’t run into this kind of problem again with a clog in the sink is to do your best to prevent future clogs. There are a few easy ways to do this.
- Use a sink strainer. This is mainly for your kitchen sink, but it helps prevent many materials from washing down your drain. You could also use these in your shower or bathtub if you want to replace the current drainage cover or if it does not currently have a cover.
- Remember that a drain is not a trash can. You can’t just let large amounts excess food left on your plates go down your kitchen sink or let loose hair down your shower or bathroom sink drains.
- In your kitchen sink, run your garbage disposal. It may not help get rid of clogs, but it will help at least cut up a little bit of what solid waste didn’t make it into the trash
Now you know how to take care of any clogs in your sinks or drains that you may come across. It is a pretty easy process to follow, although it may be gross to actually do. That’s why you wear gloves and keep items on hand to make for a quick cleanup afterwards.
There may be occasions when you can’t get the clog out on your own, so make sure that you call a professional and don’t remain stubborn and continue trying to dislodge it on your own if you are not a plumber.
And remember, preventing the clog in the first place with drain covers and the like will significantly reduce the number of clogs you get.
- Features a lasting and durable steel drum housing with grip handle for easy use, for decades of money...
- 1/4" Dia. Steel Snake with spiral head designed for 1-1/4" through 3" drain pipes. It is not recommended...
- This hand-driven drain auger will clear your househould drain clogs easily without calling a plumber
- Grip handle and turning knob allows you to use this tool easily to manually drive the snake to unclog...
Last update on 2020-10-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API