Can plumber putty work on plastic? This is something we are going to discover by looking at three of the most popular plumber putties on the market today. They are from different manufacturers, have a variety of features to help you with any of your leaking issues, and come at different price points.
LA-CO Plumbset Professional Plumbers’ Putty
The first plumber putty we will look at today is the LA-CO Plumbset Professional Plumbers’ Putty. On this list, we have two manufacturers up for review. This first one is LA-CO, and they are known to make extremely reliable products that can endure a lot without deteriorating.
Every plumber knows how important it is to have a strong and sturdy putty that works, in order to work on plastic. This specific brand is a very affordable option and comes with a variety of features to enhance your experience with putty on plastic. It is also crucial for you to look at different brands to find one that is going to work best for you.
The LA-CO Plumbset Professional Plumbers’ Putty comes in either a 3- or a 5-lb. option, and a 65 lbs. option if you have a larger job. This is an adhesive and has an elastic-like quality. Because of its high-end make, it will never sag and it doesn’t stain any material that you use it on. It has already met federal inspection standards.
This putty is actually not meant to be used on plastic or marble at all, due to the way it has been made, because it will stain that material. The putty is non-drying and resists any seepage caused by liquid.
- Adhesive and elastic, won't sag; non-staining
- Packaged in plastic containers
- Meets Fed. Spec. TT-P-1536A
- Do not use on marble or plastic
- Strong material
- No seepage
- Affordable product
- Easy to use
- Does the job great
- Great to use on metal
- Stains plastic
Plumbers Putty Stainless 14oz
The second plumber putty up for review is the Plumbers Putty Stainless 14oz developed by Oatey. No plumbing list would be complete without an Oatey product. They definitely create reliable options to make sure the installation of your sink or other kitchen/bathroom appliances goes easy.
They are one of the number-one names in manufacturing these types of putties, and this is the reason why our next two products are from Oatey. This brand is extremely affordable and you can either purchase them in a pack of 2, a 6 pack, or a 14 oz singular pack.
The Plumbers Putty Stainless 14 oz developed by Oatey is a compound creating to set frames, faucets, baskets that strain, and other appliances around the house. This putty is meant to stay flexible and will never crack or shrink, even when exposed to liquid.
The putty is really easy to work with, very soft and pliable, so you never have to worry about having a tough time using it. This makes it easy to fit into cracks and in hard-to-reach areas. This brand is not meant to be used on marble, granite, dimensional stone, or plastic for that matter.
It has met all the specifications at a military level, deeming it a very strong product that you can trust. This product air dries, and because it is easy to use, you don’t need to be a plumber to master it.
- Great for stopping leaks of all kinds
- Strong hold
- Feels like putty
- Easy to use
- Works well for a long period of time
- Can is very small, you must get a larger pack, not just one
- Cannot be used on marble or plastic
Oatey 25105 Hercules Sta Put 5-Pound Plumbers Putty
The final plumber putty up for review is the Oatey 25105 Hercules Sta Put 5-Pound Plumbers Putty. Again, yes this is another Oatey product but there is a primary reason for that: Oatey has set the standard for these putty products as they are a brand you can rely on.
Even professional plumbers use Oatey and recommend it to people who are using it for the first time. Their products are so easy to use and this is so important, especially when it comes to purchasing putty.
The main reason it is important to buy the putty and use it yourself is because it is going to save you a lot of money. If you have to call a plumber every time something starts leaking, it is going to cost you a fortune. Save some money, and try to do the handy work by yourself and figure out how it’s going to work for you.
This specific putty has been made to be non-mastic. It can be used to set toilet bowls, sink frames, faucets, basin cocks, strainers, and any other job you may have around the house that requires sealing or caulking. However, this is not to be used around any porous materials. The putty itself is very flexible and can stretch a great deal.
What makes this putty one of the best is that it molds easily to whatever shape you require. This is made of the highest quality and has achieved a superior grade when compared to others on the market today. It does not harden, crumble, crack, or shrink and will last a long time. This is also a very affordable product that will not cost you an arm and a leg.
- USE ALL AROUND THE HOUSE: Hercules Sta Put plumbing, sealing and caulking compound provides superior sealing properties with a smooth appearance when setting plumbing fixtures, bowls, faucets, basin cocks, strainers, plugs and sink frames
- WATERTIGHT SEAL: When you're fixing a leak or installing a new fixture, you want to do the job right the first time. Get a totally watertight seal guaranteed for long term use without leaks and breaks. Perfect for professional work or around the house fixes
- SUPER SIMPLE TO USE: The Hercules Sta Put plumbers putty is easy to use. It molds effortlessly and will not stick to your hands, making application a simple and mess free process. It's flexible and stretchable to fit any surface or fixture
- STAYS STRONG FOR LONG: Even after extensive use, you can still count on this putty. It resists hardening, crumbling, cracking, and shrinking providing you will stationary, leak free fixes every time. Get the job done faster and better with Hercules Sta Put Putty
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: Package contains (1) Oatey 25105 Hercules Sta Put Plumber's Putty (5-Pound). Non-mastic plumber's putty. Not for use on porous materials. Suitable for setting bowls, fixtures, faucets, basin cocks, strainers, plugs or sink frames and a variety of other applications
- Large container
- Works great
- Easy to manipulate
- Can work on a variety of materials
- Stays strong
- Stops all leaks
- Holds items in place easily
- Not to be used on any porous materials due to staining
We have concluded that it is very difficult to find plumber putty that works on plastic. The best result we have found is the third product on this list: the Oatey 25105 Hercules 5-Pound Plumbers Putty, although it has the potential to stain.
At the end of the day, the biggest plumber putties are to be used on granite or metal, and not on marble or plastic. The three products listed above are some of the best putties on the market today at an affordable price.
Last update on 2019-08-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API